MANAGEMENT OF EQUIPMENTS AND PROTECTED NATURAL SPACES
Gorge Interpretation Center, Lumbier (Navarra). It is owned by the Government of Navarra, but it is management since 2001 from Kaizen-Eureka. It includes the management of the Information and Tourism Office which is owned by the municipality. The Lumbier Center has a management program which aims to promote the environmental education and to enhance the environment, culture and tourism in the entire area. It possesses a strong general school campaign, with its own educational materials and a specific educational program for the local pupils, as well as a wide and varied offer of seasonal activities (talks, screenings, exhibitions, workshops, volunteering…). This Center has been the first to obtain the certification for touristic quality in Navarra, which is recognized by the Spanish Tourist Quality Institute, known also as “Q” of quality. It attracts 9.000 visitors every year.
See: www.focesdenavarra.es www.focesdenavarra.es
Interpretation Center of Txingudi, Irun (Basque Country). It is owned by the Basque Government. It is worth mentioning the work done in raising the awareness for the recovery of a natural space which had been completely anthropized, until its final conversion to a recognized wetland (RAMSAR) and a landmark concerning bird-watching. The activities which have been carried out in this facility combine visitors and tourists attention with the conservation and maintenance of the associated SAC space (Plaiaundi – Jaitzubia). It attracts 17.000 visitors every year.
Olondo, Historical Reference Centre of Eugi (Navarra). Dependent from the Eugi Council (Esteribar Valley), but managed by Kaizen-Eureka since its opening in 2011; Kaizen-Eureka was responsible, also for the project content and its implementation. It has an entertainment program, focusing on the former Royal Arms Factory of Eugi, and its own school campaign, which is integrated into the educational program of the of the Pamplona Region. It attracts around 4,000 visitors every year.
Centro Henry Lenaerts. Proprety of the private foundation Henry Lenaerts. House-museum of the Belgian sculptor Henri Lenaerts, based in Navarra. Located in Irurre (Guesálaz Valley, Navarra) allows contemplating a large and diverse collection of pieces previously owned by the Belgian sculptor. This extraordinary legacy consists in works produced by Henri himself and a number of pieces that were acquired by him during all his life. These works bring together his personal and artistic evolution from its beginnings in the Académie Royale des Beaux-Arts in Brussels until his last days in Navarra. The center organizes courses and conferences and temporary exhibitions. Both the house and the center are owned by the private foundation Henri Lenaerts, which intends to divulge, expose and develop the thought and work of this artist
Environmental Education Museum of Pamplona. Its ownership corresponds to the city of Pamplona. Managed by Kaizen-Eureka since its opening in 2003 until 2012. This was the first Center in the City of Pamplona to have a Manual of Good Practices (accredited certification by the Spanish Tourist Quality Institute). It has obtained a Special Mention at the III Award for Best Environmental Practices of Navarra and its environmental education program has received an award at the III Contest for the Childhood Rights and the Local Policy 2005.
Truffle Museum – Interpretation Center of the Metauten Valley in Tierra Estella (Navarra). Its ownership corresponds to the City of Metauten. Managed by Kaizen from its opening in January 2007 to 2008. It is worthy to note that the equipment had a store specialized in the truffle and other local products.
Management of public use in the Pre-Pyrenean Gorges (Navarra). Since 1997, Kaizen-Eureka assists the municipalities of Lumbier, Valley of Romanzado, Valley of Lower Urraul and Navascué Council on the management of the public use in the Nature Reserves of the Gorges of Lumbier, Arbayún and Benasa and Natural Enclave of Ugarrón Gorge. The services provided are surveillance, touristic information, maintenance and development of environmental awareness activities. In 2006 Lumbier was the first natural area of the Autonomous Community of Navarra to obtain the certification “Q of Quality” for the Protected Natural Areas, from the Integrated System of Spanish Quality Tourism. Kaizen-Eureka was also in charge of the technical assistance to this process and its subsequent management. It is estimated that 80,000 tourists visit annually the pre-Pyrenean gorges.
Management of the public use of the Txingudi Marshes (Gipuzkoa). Since 2009 Kaizen-Eureka manages on behalf of the Basque Government the Txingudi Marshes and their associated equipment of environmental education: Ekoetxea Txingudi. More precisely we manage the public use of two SAC areas: Plaiaundi and Jaitzubia. We undertake activities of information and environmental awareness, basic maintenance of facilities and spaces, ecosystem monitoring, tracking of the bird community and control of invasive species. It is estimated that 40,000 tourists visit each year the marshes of Txingudi.
Surveillance, information and maintenance in the Sierra de Aralar (Navarra). During the years 2011 and 2012 Kaizen-Eureka has managed this service on behalf the public society Gestion Ambiental de Navarra. The Sierra of Aralar has been declared a SCI area and includes the Natural Reserve of Putxerri. The service consisted in performing the tasks of Surveillance, information and maintenance during peak traffic seasons: Spring, September weekends and summer months.
Surveillance, information and maintenance in the Natural Reserve of Pulguer (Navarra). During the years 2011, 2012 and 2014 Kaizen-Eureka has managed this service in behalf of Gestion Ambiental de Navarra. The Pulguer raft is a small endorheic wetland especially important for the birds. Due to its accessibility it is also a very visited spot during the summer months by the local population, which use part of the raft to swim. The service consisted in performing the tasks of surveillance, information and maintenance during the peaks of influx: Easter, weekends in spring and September, summer months.
As for other works related to the management of equipments and spaces below you can find some examples:
- Drafting of the basic conceptualization and renovation project of the exhibition contents of Ekoetxea Txingudi in Irun (Gipuzkoa). Basque Government, 2011.
- Historical Reference Centre of Eugi (Council of Eugi – 2008). Dynamization and management plan, feasibility study, and exhibition project.
- Sotos de Peralta Interpretation Center (Municipality of Peralta – Consortium Eder – 2008). Development of exhibition stands (panels and interactive site), dynamization and management plan
- Project for the enhancement of the Monastery of San Pedro de Usún (Romanzado Valley – Cederna Garalur – 2008). Space preparation and facilities, exhibition project, management plan.
- San Andrés Mill: information point (Region of Pamplona – 2008). Management plan and feasibility analysis. Touristic report and grant application dossier about the call of grants for large touristic infrastructure.
- Visitors reception center of the Irati Forest in the Houses of Irati (Salazar Valley Council – 2009). Management plan and feasibility analysis. Touristic report and grant application dossier about the call of grants for large tourist infrastructure.
- Visitors reception center of the Abodi’s Ski Slopes (Salazar Valley Council – 2009). Management plan and feasibility analysis. Touristic report and grant application dossier about the call of grants for large tourist infrastructure.
MANAGEMENT OF EUROPEAN PROJECTS
During the last years, Kaizen-Eureka has offered assistance in drafting tender dossiers about various European calls with a total value of more than 50 million euros.
It has also performed the economic and financial control of the selected projects, for a total funding amount of 19 million euros.
Below you can see some examples of these projects:
POCTEFA (Programme for Territorial Cooperation Spain-France-Andorra):
- Cultavia: spaces for the culture in the Pyrenees
- Irati: Forest of Forests
- Zone 31-64. Investigation and recovery works in areas of economic activity of the western Pyrenees.
- Transarlas. Mountain activities as the base for the touristic development in Arlas
- Vultouris. Cross-Bordering network of Ornithological Tourism
- Yelmo. Cross-border Cooperation on the Industrial Heritage.
- Txinbadia. Network of environmental education, public use and conservation of the cross-bordering natural spaces.
- Txinbadia 14-15. Strengthening the network of environmental education, public use and conservation of cross-border natural areas Txingudi Marshes – Corniche Basque.
- Pre2pla. Development of tools for predicting conditions of use and risk prevention in the Basque Country-Aquitaine beaches.
- LIZARRIETA. Environmental and cultural protection and enhancement of the Lizaieta hill through the development of sustainable tourism *
- Kintoan Barna. Cultural heritage and local quality products: the basis for the economic development of a territory.
- Txinbadia+. TXINBADIA training network for the connection between public use and conservation in the protected areas.
- Kintoa. Socio-economic revitalization of the valleys of Esteribar (Navarra) and Baigorri (Pyrenees-Atlantiques) through joint strategies for the common enhancement and revitalization of the identity resources.
LIFE and Climate Change
- LIFE+ TREMEDAL. Humedales continentales del Norte de la Península Ibérica: gestión y restauración de turberas y medios higrófilos (management and coordination)
- LIFE+ RESPIRA. Reduction of exposure of cyclists to urban pollutants (dossier preparation)
- LIFE OPTIAGRIWATER. Nutrients, organic matter and irigation management in agricultural basins to fulfill wáter directive objectives (dossier preparation)
- LIFE NUAGUR. Optimizing the integrated management of nitrogen and phosphorous from manure co-digestion and urban wastewater plants (dossier preparation)
- LIFE BACCATA. Conservation and restoration of mediterranean Taxus baccata woods (9580*) in the Cantabrian Mountains (dossier preparation)
- LIFE+ BONELLI. Integral Recovery of Bonelli’s Eagle population in Spain (management and coordination)
- LIFE PAPIR. Platform Flood Hazard Alerts in Rivers (dossier preparation)
- EFIDISTRICT. Regional Strategy for Efficients Districts in Navarre
- EFIDISTRICT FWD. Regional Strategy for Efficients Districts in Navarre
- FROREVI (FROm REal building to a VIrtual)
- LEANCLEANING. New environment in the cleaning sector that fosters innovation, improved relations with employees andcustomers, competitiveness, effectiveness and efficiency in expenditure, based on ICT
(INTERREG V-B South-Western Europe)
- INVER litoral N2000. Green Infrastructures in the network SUDOE Natura 2000 coast.
POCTEP (Territorial Cooperation Programme Spain-Portugal)
- COOPETRANS. Prototype of Cooperative Agribusiness: enhancement of the cross-bordering social economy.
- TechTown. Digital economy in small and medium cities.
- Living History in Europe Regions Historical Heritages Sites.
Kaizen-Eureka has been part of various consortiums in European Commission tenders, most of which have passed to the shortlist stage. The total turnover of these shortlisted projects is more than 9 million euros.
In this area, Kaizen-Eureka has directly implemented the following projects:
- Promotion of sustainable agricultural production and associationism. Malesi, Madhe and Shkoder districts (Albania)
- Strengthening of the public structures to support the farming sector. Shkoder region (Albania)
- Strengthening of agricultural extension service. Diber region (Albania).
- Study – visit to Spain and France focused in cross border cooperation. Spain and France.
- Support to Bosnia and Herzegovina Institutions in Management and Payment of Agrarian Subsidies. Bosnia and Herzegovina
Moreover, Kaizen-Eureka has passed to the shortlist phase for the following projects:
- Montenegro-Podgorica: IPA — Establishment of Natura 2000 network
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia-Skopje: IPA — Strengthening the capacities for implementation of Natura 2000
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia-Skopje: IPA — Introduction of new IPARD measures (Leader and advisory services) to be implemented under IPARD II
- Montenegro-Podgorica: Development of the food safety and phytosanitary services in Montenegro
- Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia-Skopje: IPA — Information and communication programme
- Cyprus-Nicosia: Technical assistance to support the preparation and implementation of an animal disease eradication programme
- BA-Sarajevo: IPA — Capacity building in the water sector
- BA-Sarajevo: IPA — Support to establishment and management of the EU Info Centre in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- AL-Tirana: IPA — management of Tirana EU Information Centre
- BG-Sofia: IPA — preparation of IPA cross-border programmes 2014–2020
Kaizen-Eureka is also part of a consortium for the wastewater management, whose main objective is the develop, build and operate in projects about the wastewater management, both nationally and internationally, in some or all the areas of its value chain. From marketing and consultancy services in the territorial, legal, technical and environmental fields to the facility design, construction and management.
Many works of consulting have been conducted by our company.
The main fields of work refer to environmental, tourism, local development and project management issues.
Some of the most recent works are:
- Post-LIFE conservation plan for the Project Life+ TREMEDAL (LIFE11 NAT/ES/707). 2015
- Following /Consultancy about the selection of the labellisation type for the cross-border territory of Iraty. 2015
- Assessment and SWOT about the situation of the Ribera county in Navarra, based on the socioeconomic, rural, environmental, climatic and infrastructural situation. Moreover, elaboration of a proposal of a local development strategy (collaboration with Ikei). 2015
- First assessment to the Strategic Plan of the municipality of Valle de Egüés (collaboration with Ikei). 2015
- Drafting of final documents of Life Nitrates (LIFE + 10 ENV / ES / 478) (collaboration with Fiumerreka). 2015
- Organization and management of the Technical Workshop “Environmental Education Experience ” Txingudi-Ekoetxea. 2015
- Organization and management of the cross-border fairs of small producers and artisans in Eugi. 2012-2015.
- Organization and activity management for the event “World Water Day” in Txingudi. 2009-2015.
- Technical assistance for drafting the Communication Strategy for the ERDF and ESF Operational Programmes 2014-2020 of Navarra. 2015
- Organization and management of the Bat-nights in Txingudi. 2013-2015.
- Organization and activities management for the event “World Biodiversity Day” in Txingudi. 2009-2015.
- Technical – economical study about the different management models for the Villava sports facilities (collaboration with Ikei). 2014.
- Report for the creation of a local trading company in the city of Esteribar. 2014Report for the creation of a local trading company in the city of Esteribar. 2014
- Application for the call of grants for actions of conservation and enrichment for the Spanish Historical Heritage, financed by the Ministry of Development and the public sector entities, for the Royal Arm Factory of Eugi (Navarra). 2014.
- Application for the call of grants for actions of conservation and enrichment for the Spanish Historical Heritage, financed by the Ministry of Development and the public sector entities, for the restoration project of the tower Dorrea Irurita (Navarra). 2014.
- Report on European and National aid and grant programs for the sector of integrated water cycle for urban use” for the public company Aguas Municipales de Vitoria S.A. (AMVISA) (collaboration with Fiumerreka). 2014
- Organization and management of the Technical Workshop “Ecological restoration of wetlands” in Txingudi-Ekoetxea (Irun, Gipuzkoa). 2014
- Organization and management of the Conference on Industrial Heritage “History of mines, foundries, weapons and armors). 2014.
- Technical assistance in the liquidation of Itoiz-Channel of Navarre and Roncesvalles Valley Foundation. 2014.
- Assistance to the technical and economic-administrative management of the Foundation Valle de Erro-Roncesvalles. 2011-2014.
- Technical assistance for the project Basolan, financed by the Axis 4 LEADER of the RDP 2007-2013, with funding from the Government of Navarra and the European Union and with the aim to prepare a European project. 2013-2014
- Technical assistance for the drafting of the Strategic Environmental Assessment of the ERDF 2014-2020 Operational Programme of the Autonomous Community of Navarre. 2014
- Organization and management of the Congress for Freshwater Ecology in Protected Natural Areas. 2012.
- Study on the cooperative action to implement between the Ecological Park of Plaiaundi and Marshes of Jaitzubia (SPA ES-0000243 and SCI ES-2120018) in Irun – Hodarribia and the Site Naturel Protegé Domaine d’Abbadie et Corniche Basque (SCI FR-7200775), under the Objective 3 of the European Commission.
- Technical assistance for the enhancement and implementation of actions and projects under the “Orrega-Linduz Cross-Border Convention (France-Spain). 2007-2009. (collaboration with Axura).
- Technical assistance for the preparation of the strategic and operational plan for the tourism development unit of Bertiz.
- Technical assistance for the preparation of the strategic and operational plan of the touristic product “Vias Verdes” (Greenways).
- Technical assistance for the preparation of the strategic and operational plan of the touristic product “Rivers, reservoirs and lakes”.
- Technical assistance for the preparation of the strategic and operational plan of the touristic product “Romanesque Navarra”.
- Assisted management and launching of the Strategic Plan of the Navarrese Association of Touristic Activities Bideak.
- Technical assistance for the management of development projects of the Roncal Valley.
- Design and development of the Local Agenda 21 in different municipalities of Navarra Baztan, Bortziriak; Malerreka and Mendialdea; Sangüesa, Estella – Lizarra and Mancomunidad de Aragon; Altsasu-Alsasua, Altsasu-Alsasua, Noáin-Valle de Elorz and Ultzama-Anue-Lantz-Basaburua-Imotz; Castejón and Valtierra, Puente la Reina, and Navascúes-Salazar and Roncal.
- Technical assistance for the preparation of the development project on the mixed touristic product nature – culture. Sorogain, Valle de Erro.
- Management and coordination of the Third Congress of Rural Development “The role of regional stakeholders in the enhancement of resources natuarles”.
- Management and development of the transnational cooperation project European Network of Birdwatching in the Pre-Pyrenean area of Navarra.